Saturday, September 27, 2014

Bill Maher

While I don't agree with absolutely everything he says, I can't say that my reaction to this Bill Maher video was negative. 

My reaction wasn't even neutral. In fact, I actually stood up from my chair and started clapping.

My first thoughts were, 'This is the start of a real conversation - one that addresses how warped our society has become.'

On this issue, at least Bill Maher is logical, consistent, and honest. That is refreshing. He might be a bit crude, but so what?! I think he actually highlights the tolerance of Christians. I am not threatened by him on the minor issues for which we disagree.


Why am I not threatened? It should be obvious, but just in case:
1) Because I understand that I don't have to agree with him in lock-step to understand the greater point he makes in the video below.

2) Because I'm confident that he will never head a movement to control people's minds, lobby for laws to take away choices from people, or participate in one-sided, politically-motivated character assassination of people whose only offense was to speak their mind in a public setting.
Grandiose final thought: a self-evident, non-threatening disagreement between two Citizens is the essence of America (by self-evident I mean that the individual makes decides what is or is not threatening, instead of the media doing so - something they have long since tried to do).

Recognizing that a guy who I formerly perceived as a philosophical enemy has made a spectacularly valid point makes me happy in a very simple way. 

So without further ado, I say this to Mr. Maher: Touché. You've made a brilliant exposé. I hope it goes viral.


No comments:

Post a Comment